About these ads

I may be a little late to this, but I came across this site called Typealizer, via Twitter (hat tip to Patrick LaForge). Typealizer analyzes the text of a blog and computes its Myers-Briggs Personality based on how a blogger writes.

How?

For a long period of time, we have been training our system to recognize texts that characterize the different types. The system, typealyzer, can now by itself find features that distinguishes one type from another. When all features, words and sentences, are statistically analyzed, Typealyzer is able to guess which personality type the text represents.

So how does it do? I ran this blog through it. According to Typealizer, my blog’s personality is INTJ:

*****

INTJ – The Scientists

The long-range thinking and individualistic type. They are especially good at looking at almost anything and figuring out a way of improving it – often with a highly creative and imaginative touch. They are intellectually curious and daring, but might be physically hesitant to try new things.

The Scientists enjoy theoretical work that allows them to use their strong minds and bold creativity. Since they tend to be so abstract and theoretical in their communication they often have a problem communicating their visions to other people and need to learn patience and use concrete examples. Since they are extremely good at concentrating they often have no trouble working alone.

*****

You know, that INTJ seems about right. I always remember the I and the N when I’ve done Myers-Briggs in the past. I’ll assume the T and J are close enough.

Typealizer also runs this funky Brain Activity graphic:

typealizer-brain-activity-graphic

I’m sort of proud that I don’t have spirituality, rhythm or harmony in my posts. Yup, I’m a dork.

Check it out for your own blog. We are what we write.

*****

See this post on FriendFeeD: http://friendfeed.com/search?required=q&q=We+Are+What+We+Publish+Analyze+Your+Blog%E2%80%99s+Myer-Briggs+Personality+with+Typealizer

About these ads

About Hutch Carpenter
Senior Consultant for HYPE Innovation (hypeinnovation.com)

12 Responses to We Are What We Publish – Analyze Your Blog’s Myers-Briggs Personality with Typealizer

1. Sally says:

Thanks for that link, Hutch, very interesting indeed.

My blog came out an INTP, The Thinker… not so far from my normal personality type of ENTP.

Yeah, I too was happy not to have any of that woo stuff either ;-)

• Johanan Rakkav says:

I feel rather sorry for you and the author…you’re rejoicing in having a weakness, not in having a strength!

This is a human fault, though, not a fault merely of Theorists like yourselves. We ALL tend to think “if everyone else was like me, then everything would be all right.” But everyone is NOT like us and that is what makes the world go around.

So instead of looking down on those for whom deciding based on emotions and values comes more easily, how about learning from them? You have the very same eight cognitive processes that they do. You just have them in different orders and some are not as easily accessible to you as to them. But you CAN learn to access those processes and grow thanks to them. And of course, the same is true for them.

2. Pingback: We’re Rocket Scientists – Says Typealyzer | CloudAve

• Johanan Rakkav says:

Anna Marie — assuming your blog is analyzed correctly, it may be presenting your Contextual or else Developed Self. Your Core Self — what is inborn for whatever reason — may be different. Perhaps your three “selves” appear like three different codes. I suspect that mine do.

(I’m referring to Linda V. Berens’ very helpful model of how the personality developes.)

I only just discovered that my Core Self is ENFP. Typealyzer says my blog is INTP, but I KNOW I don’t draw on my “Core Self” when I blog. I draw on one of my other Selves then.

• Johanan Rakkav says:

Sorry, I think I replied to the wrong post! :(

3. I have type conflict. My blog comes out ISTJ, while I am either INFP or ENFP. Maybe my blog says more about me that I know about myself. Or maybe I don’t blog to type. I’m wondering what an INFP blog looks like anyway…

• Johanan Rakkav says:

4. jeroendemiranda says:

Myer-Briggs is a useful model; however I prefer to work with the ‘DiSC’ model (dominant – influence – steadiness – Conscientious) from Manager-Tools – see http://www.jeroendemiranda.com/become-a-more-effective-manager/

• Johanan Rakkav says:

DiSC maps fairly well onto the combination of temperament, interaction style and cognitive process models. MBTI gives just one data point in that ensemble, and it’s no more meant to be taken out of context (and without professional feedback) than the DiSC instrument is.

Linda Berens’ workbooks include a mapping of the DiSC and some other models’ categories onto the model she and others have been developing. I am very impressed by both their threefold model’s completeness and its ability to be compared and correlated with other models.

5. synapticlight says:

ha ha ha,
    very cool
    I am: ESTP – The Doers
    whatever

phill(synapticlight)

6. Johanan Rakkav says:

No, you ARE NOT NECESSARILY what you blog. Let me explain.

Tyealizer says I blog like an INTP. But going through several weeks of self-discovery with the guidance of Vicky Jo Varner (TypeInsights.com), I’ve discovered — to my own total shock — that I’m NOT an INTP, nor yet an INTJ (what the MBTI has always “pegged” me as), nor even an INFP (what PTI recently “pegged” me as). No, I’m an ENFP, indisputably. I am of Catalyst (not Theorist) temperament and Get-Things-Going interaction style (thus pointing to ENFP), and independently reckoned, my preferred cognitive processes are in the ENFP order.

INTP is like Mr. Spock. That probably would be my Contextual Self; I’ve often adopted that configuration in dealing with problems such as my blog presents. Beneath that is my Developed Self: probably INTJ. But driven far beneath is my Core Self: ENFP. That’s what emerges in other contexts such as public speaking, creative writing, musical performance and group leadership, when I feel freest to “be myself”.

Blogging doesn’t always reveal what one is at one’s deepest levels, contrary to common opinion. Besides, like any other instrument, Typealizer can be misleading apart from competent professional feedback.

7. Johanan Rakkav says:

Hey, guess what? When you run your current front page through Tyealizer, it comes out INTP, not INTJ. :) Just like the MBTI, it can mistype you without feedback.