About these ads

Why Bloggers Should Want Comments on FriendFeed

Blog comments aren’t dead, but FriendFeed comments have emerged as equally valuable. Robert Scoble has a post up now in which he states:

My Tesla post gathered two comments here.

13 comments and 12 “Likes” over on FriendFeed.

Let’s just stick a fork in it. Comments are dead.

I don’t think they’re dead, but I do think he raises a good point. The interaction that occurs on FriendFeed is so much easier and freewheeling than it is on blogs.

Blogs that don’t have a lot of comments can feel like museums (“look, but don’t touch”). It feels like it takes an extra effort to put a comment there, because you can’t really feed off others’ participation.

FriendFeed’s got four things that make it really, really good for commenting:

1. Wide open nature – anyone can jump in
  2. More lively subscription base – RSS subscribers are great for views, but not for comments. FriendFeed’s interaction nature stokes conversations in a much better way
  3. The barrier to commenting is lower – I commented on Robert’s post about this, and got a message saying my comment was “awaiting moderation”. Not on FriendFeed – where I just typed and clicked “Post”.
  4. FriendFeed’s viral attention features – Likes/Comments cause content to bounce to the top of the screen and friend-of-friend interactions cause people outside your subscription base to see your blog post, generating more views and comments

Keep the blog comments coming, but I’m quite happy to have you comment on FriendFeed too.

*****

See this post on FriendFeed: http://friendfeed.com/search?q=%22Why+Bloggers+Should+Want+Comments+on+FriendFeed%22&public=1

About these ads

About Hutch Carpenter
Senior Consultant for HYPE Innovation (hypeinnovation.com)

17 Responses to Why Bloggers Should Want Comments on FriendFeed

1. eng1ne says:

I think there is something to be said for the types of conversation that happen, also, on blogs and friendfeed. Just like if you were addressing the PTA board at a local school, or talking over a water cooler, you may not say the same types of things.

The transitory nature of FriendFeed is conducive to people firing off a reply or comment, and maybe re-visiting it later to see if they generated any good conversation. On a blog, however, it is often more formal, especially if you have to go through some sort of gauntlet just to get to the point of leaving a comment.

2. the problem is that that post he is using to proclaim comments are dead is basically a stupid one about he is buying a Telsa .. as I asked him in his blog what were suppose to comment on – the fact that he has the money to even buy one or thst he is so cool for going to own one.

What is the point of making somments when you have nothing of substance to comment on.

Dumb argument – it’s a simple as that.

3. @eng1ne – there is something to be said for being really lightweight in commenting. People have thoughts, they may be a bit shy about expressing them. FriendFeed fosters a good environment for making it easier.

4. @Steven – I understand that thinking. But one counterpoint would be…why does anyone interact on FriendFeed with his Tesla post?

5. eng1ne says:

@hutch I can answer that one.. take a look at the discussion.. it is all about electric cars and not much about Robert getting one. In FriendFeed, people feel a lot more free to use the topic as a “seed” and not as a framework for their conversation.

6. Phil – and that’s another great point. The “seed” was his blog post, which got people talking about many things. That just doesn’t seem to happen so much on blog comments.

7. jezarnold says:

How about WordPress.com having a widget allowed that allows either:
    * Disqus comments
    * FriendFeed comments

Actually embedded in a http://***.wordpress.com blog ??

8. Fred Brunel says:

You’re absolutely right. I find commenting on FriendFeed more interactive and more straithforward than on typical blog (where you have to enter user informations or wait for moderation).

Actually because you follow your friends activity in one unique place can *batch you comment activity*, which is not possible on classic post comments.

I find myself commenting more on FriendFeed because of batching.

9. markdykeman says:

Reminds me a bit of my “comment nexus” post on my own blog from a couple of weeks ago. It’s certainly a major benefit of using FriendFeed.

10. Andrew says:

Hutch, I almost never leave comments on other people’s blog posts. But, I do frequently leave comments on people’s blog posts on FF.

This post explains the reason for my personal commenting behavior very well. So well, I decided to leave comment here instead of on FF. :)

A recent post on my small blog attracted 87+ Likes and 46+ Comments from the FF community but only 3 comments on my actual post. I’m ok with that because my blog would never attract 46+ comments on one post with its current readership.

11. @Hutch because FriendFeed makes throw away comments easy – click a link and make your comment and go to the next item of business.

12. @jezarnold – agree on having that ability for wordpress.com. Interesting plug-ins have been developed for wordpress.org by third parties. We have to wait for what they provide on the hosted version.

13. @Fred – that’s actually the premise of disqus.com. But you’re right – FriendFeed allows that as well in the sense that you can always find your own comments there. Good point.

14. @Mark – that was a good post (http://broadcasting-brain.com/2008/05/19/friend-feed-comment-nexus/). And it strikes the theme that Frank mentions.

15. @Andrew – thanks for one of your rare in-blog comments! Nit surprised about your FriendFeed experience. When something catches fire there, it can almost seem Techmeme like.

16. @Steven – sure, there’s throw away comments. But I find many of those have some value too. And the throwaway comments may inspire someone to leave a valuable comment.

17. russian toys says:

не стоит читать на сон грядущий ту матч!